David E. Haynes, The Cochran Firm, D.C.’s managing partner has been representing clients throughout Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia since the office’s founding. He has significant experience handling cases involving commercial vehicle and trucking collisions, gas explosions, carbon monoxide poisoning, drowning, fires, inadequate security, medical malpractice, train collisions, product liability, and police misconduct, among others. David has handled dozens of cases involving wrongful death, paralysis, loss of limb, loss of sight, brain injury, and other very serious injuries, often against large corporations or municipalities, securing some of the largest verdicts and settlements of their kind. See examples of case results here.
As lead counsel, David has obtained numerous multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients. Virginia Lawyer’s Weekly recognized attorney Haynes in 2006 after he achieved one of the largest verdicts in Virginia that year, which was upheld on appeal and collected. He was recognized in 2012 by the same publication for securing two of the ten largest settlements in all of Virginia that year, both of which were wrongful death cases.
David was named a Super Lawyer for every year from 2013 to the present in Personal Injury for Washington. D.C. Only up to 5 percent of D.C. attorneys are selected as Super Lawyers. The selection process involves an in-depth, measurable process that includes peer nominations by seasoned attorneys followed by detailed evaluations that are matched against third-party research. Each candidate is evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. From 2016 to 2018, he was named to the Best Lawyers in America in Washington, D.C. for Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice.
He has also been appointed by various Courts to leadership positions in complex injury litigation, including:
- Co-liaison counsel for all Plaintiffs In the Matter of the Fort Totten Metrorail Cases Arising Out of the Events of June 22, 2009. U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Case No.: 10-mc-00314, a train collision that resulted in the death of 9 people and injuries to 85 others
- Member of the Plaintiffs Steering Committee in Jane Doe No. 1, et al. v. Johns Hopkins Hospital, et al. Circuit Court for Baltimore City, Case No. 24-C-13-001041 MM, a class action for sexual abuse and privacy violations by an OB/GYN which is comprised of over 8,000 class members and secured a $190 million settlement for victims
David has lectured at multiple legal conferences to other lawyers, including the National Trial Lawyers Summit and Mass Torts Made Perfect. He has been interviewed or quoted by numerous national and local news outlets, including NBC National News and The Wall Street Journal. David is often called upon to comment on legal issues of the day and he is a regular contributor on the Ring of Fire radio and TV show.
Active in the community, David is a member of the Board of Directors of the Abramson Scholarship Foundation, a not-for-profit charitable organization that provides scholarships for disadvantaged high school graduates going on to college and fellowships for law school graduates who accept non-profit public interest positions.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 1997
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A. in History & Political Science, 1994
- Washington D.C.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- President, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C., 2015-2016
- Board of Governors of Trial Lawyers Association of District of Columbia, 2009-Present
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Maryland Association for Justice
- Diplomat, The National Trial Lawyers
- Super Lawyer 2013 – 2018 in Personal Injury in Washington, D.C
- Best Lawyers in America 2016 – 2018 in Washington, D.C. for Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice