Bikers from Maryland and Richmond, Virginia
Two motorcyclists are dead and four injured after a semi-truck driver veered off I-85 and struck six motorcyclists who had stopped to take a break. Police believe the truck driver who struck the motorcyclists may have been asleep behind the wheel. The truck driver, Daniel S. Serna, has been charged with felony hit and run and misdemeanor death by the local district attorney’s office.
The riders were part of a motorcycle club from Richmond, Virginia and Laurel, Maryland known as the Black Eagles MC. Many of the riders were truck drivers themselves. The bikers were on their way to Atlanta, Georgia to attend a motorcycle rally.
Police say the truck driver veered from the middle lane of the interstate all the way to the right shoulder where the motorcycle riders were taking a break on their way to their destination. After plowing through the group of riders, the truck driver continued for approximately a half mile down the highway before stopping because of a flat tire.
North Carolina authorities say Arnie M. Morris was killed instantly when the truck collided with the riders. Two others were seriously injured and three sustained relatively minor injuries. Kenneth N. Jefferson, of South Chesterfield, Virginia, later died from his injuries at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center after being hospitalized in critical condition.
If you or a loved one were hurt by a semi-truck or other commercial vehicle, contact The Cochran Firm, D.C. for a free case review. Our team of experienced attorneys routinely provide aggressive, skilled representation to motorcyclists and injury victims of catastrophic trucking accidents. Call us at 202-682-5800 or fill out a contact form on our website.
The names of the I-85 crash victims were officially released July 18 as family and friends talked about them on social media.:
- Motorcyclist #1: Stable Condition – Jerome D. Howard, 48, of Woodbridge, Virginia.
- Motorcyclist #2: Deceased – Kenneth N. Jefferson, 51, South Chesterfield, Virginia.
- Motorcyclist #3: Treated for minor injuries and released by Moses Cone Hospital. This was the only rider who was sitting on the bike at the time of the crash. Caroline Campbell, 48, of North Chesterfield, Virginia.
- Motorcyclist #4: Injured/Treated – Michael A. Robinson Sr., 57, of Woodbridge, Virginia.
- Motorcyclist #5: Deceased – Arnie M. Morris, 37, of Woodbridge Virginia.
- Motorcyclist #6: Injured/Treated – Gregory D. Harmon, 44, of Bowie, Maryland.